Spring Ahead with These Home Maintenance TipsBy
While we may be in the dead of winter, it is not too soon to start thinking about home maintenance. Preventative measures are the best thing you can do as a homeowner because it’s much cheaper to maintain than to repair. We at Sterling Custom Homes want to help you out with some of the basics, so if you can get through this list, you’ll be set for the year:
- Inspect your smoke detectors, and make sure that there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the batteries annually or as needed.
- Check the light bulbs in all your fixtures to be sure they are the correct wattage as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace all high-intensity bulbs (such as incandescent) with fluorescent bulbs that don’t produce as much heat.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, extension cords or any other power service.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for operation.
- Have your air conditioning system inspected by a professional as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Check for damage to your roof, and clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating.
- Check water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Remove all dead trees in your yard, and keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Safely store oil and gas for lawn equipment and tools in a vented, locked area.
- Repair cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walkways to provide a level walking surface.